Sunday, March 18, 2012

Emotional Guides


Pay Attention to Emotions

Jumping For Joy

When something evokes an emotion, pay attention.   I bought this photograph at an Arts & Craft Show in Beverly Hills, CA in May 2008.  It is actually 12"x18" and finished very nicely.  I was visiting a friend near my old neighborhood of Burbank where I had lived from 1990-1996.  We had just come from visiting our Alma Marta at California State University and touring around other old haunts, and I was flooded with memories - and comparing then to now (not a constructive thing to do by the way).  I was still swirling in old emotional baggage and in contemplation of my current state of affairs.  My heart was not at rest, and I had a lot to yet figure out.  

So, when I came upon this photograph amongst the artist's display of his many other beautiful selections, I had to literally catch my breath as it struck my emotional chord in a profound way.  Simultaneously (I kid you not)....BOOM!... my heart and soul was hit with two emotions - joy and sadness -  that both caused me to choke down tears which became actual tears.  

I was a mess.  I didn't know which one to focus on.  On one hand, it evoked tears of joy as I saw me as the woman on the right leaping with so much happiness and pure joy of spirit - celebrating life and living to the fullest -  that's what I wanted, that's what I knew I felt in my heart and was capable of, however, at the same time, I choked down tears of sadness and heartache as I realized I wasn't there yet - that wasn't me yet as I was still living in pain - in the sludge - still in my own way - not living my true essence.

What's so unique and special about this photograph is that the emotions it provoked gave me a lot of messages:

  1. It gave me inspiration to keep going - to figure out what the heck was holding me back.  
  2. It told me that I am joyful at heart and that I want and deserve joy - not pain.
  3. It told me I was still in pain and that I need to stop and let it go.
  4. It told me I have support (depicted by the other silhouette representing my friend and all those that love me unconditionally) - that I have people who care and are holding me up, shining and carrying the light until I get there.
I didn't purchase it at that moment.  Instead, I obsessed over it the whole time we were at the show. It was costly and they only accepted cash or check, and I didn't have enough cash on me nor did I have my checkbook.  That was resolved, but the point is..... WOW!  I was so glad that I did buy it as it was an important investment in my path and really helped me out.  I took it home and put it up in my bedroom and there it remains today.  I see it everyday when I wake up - even before I step out of bed as it is in proper view from my pillow.  And, I am happy to say, I am leaping now and it's only the beginning!

So, take notice of your emotions. Listen to your body.  Be aware and allow life to show you signs and clues to your path.  Your emotions are a powerful source of information.  They are an internal guide to your soul and well being. 

Are you paying attention to your emotions?

To the adventure,




No comments:

Post a Comment